Freedom Fighters



(Page 99)

When the kids were small, we took on a project of hatching quail eggs, raising them until old enough to release. We eagerly gained the use of an incubator and a few dozen very tiny quail eggs. Placing the box on a counter beneath a window, we positioned the special lamp over our new and crowded maternity ward. We then watched expectantly the following weeks for the first signs of life.

The miracle began one day as we noticed the eggs moving ever so slightly. Their movement reminded me of the dancing beans I had seen as a child. Excitement grew as we heard tiny tapping sounds from within the shell. This was the moment we had been waiting for!


Inexperienced with quail hatching as I was, I noticed one of the first eggs seemed to be in trouble. The tiny bird had pecked for what seemed a very long time, but wasn’t making as much progress as I thought he should. It was obvious he needed my help!

So with the assistance of a sewing needle and the precision of a surgeon, I picked up the fragile egg and very delicately began to remove tiny portions of the stubborn shell that seemed to be “in the way”. I chipped away enough to ensure a quick and painless entry, laid the egg back down and left the infant quail to do the rest, feeling rather triumphant in my rescue.

A few hours later, I returned to the quail nursery and to my shock and disbelief, my patient was barely alive. By the next day, he was dead. I learned later that the very process of pecking through the shell is a sometimes lengthy but necessary task for the young chicks in order to gain strength, stamina and maturity. I had robbed the baby quail of the opportunity to become what nature had intended and I unwittingly killed him.

It is natural for us to want to come to the aid of one who is in trouble. As Christians, God calls us to come along side our brother or sister in Christ, as well as those who have not come to faith in Him. I have found myself at times wanting to do as I did with the quail egg and through impatience, apply a little too much “encouragement” in their journey. I forgot the struggle was necessary.

Our journey toward and with God is as unique and individual as we are. The struggles and challenges we bear build strength and character and to deny someone of that short-circuits opportunities for growth. Painful as it seems, it is wise to step back and allow God’s will to unfold in His appointed time.

Unlike my “Project Free Bird” calamity, God is ever patient. He knows our heart and will bless even the blunders of the over-zealous freedom fighters in our attempts to minister truth into the life of another. God’s love never fails.

1 Corinthians 7:17 reminds us that, “Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk”. Remember also “where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (2 Corinthians 3:17)

There are no quick and painless journeys through life in the Kingdom of God. There also are no drag marks to the foot of the Cross. There are lessons to learn and breakthroughs to make. We grow, we mature; we gain wisdom, insight and understanding compelling us to the next level, grace upon grace, from glory to glory!

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort. Be Glorified, Father, even in our blunders, as we minister in Spirit and in Truth. May the blind be made to see and the bound be set free, in Jesus’ name. For whom the Son sets free is free indeed! Halleluiah to our King!

No comments:

Post a Comment